Hinweise zur "Catholic Encyclopedia"
Confessor and anchorite in Belgium; b. in the first half of the seventh century; d. at Saint-Ghislain
(Ursidongus), 9 October, c. 680. He was probably of German origin. Ghislain lived in the province of
Hainault (Belgium) in the time of St. Amand (d. 679) and Saints Waudru, Aldegonde, and Madelberte. With
two unknown disciples he made a clearing in the vicinity of Castrilocus (now Mons, in Hainault), taking
up later his abode at a place called Ursidongus, where he built an oratory or chapel dedicated to Saints
Peter and Paul. Aubert, Bishop of Cambrai, summoned him to the episcopal presence in order to sound the
intentions of this almost unknown hermit, but he afterwards accorded him efficient protection. During
his visit to Cambrai Ghislain spent some time in the villa of Roisin and received as a gift the estates
of Celles and Hornu. He soon entered into relations with St. Waudru, who was induced by him to build a
monastery at Castrilocus, his former place of refuge. It is probable that Ghislain influenced the religious
vocation of St. Aldegonde, Abbess of Maubeuge, also of St. Madelberte and St.Aldetrude, of whom the first
was the sister and the last two the daughters of St. Waudru. One day Aldegonde in her monastery of Maubeuge,
had a vision in which, according to her biographer, the death of St. Amand, Bishop of Tongres, was revealed
to her. Ghislain visited the saint in her villa of Mairieu, near Mabeuge, and explained to her that the
vision was an announcement of her own approaching death. The intercourse between Ghislain and Aldegonde
brought about a perfect understanding between Maubeuge and the monastery founded at Ursidongus under
Ghislain's direction. St. Waudru rewarded her counsellor with a portion of the villa of Frameries and
of the oratory of St-Quentin, comprised within the boundaries of the villa of Quaregnon. Ghislain died
at Ursidongus, and the monastery which he had founded took his name. The relics of the saint were first
disinterred c. 929. They were transferred to Grandlieu, near Quaregnon, about the end of the tenth century
or the beginning of the eleventh, and in 1025 Gerard I, Bishop of Cambrai, removed them to Cateau-Cambresis.
They were visited several times in the course of the Middle Ages by the Bishops of Cambrai. In 1647 they
were removed to St-Ghislain of which place our saint is patron. His feast is celebrated 9 October and his
intercession is sought to ward off convulsions from children. In iconography he is frequently represented
with a bear or bear's cub beside him. This is an allusion to the popular legend which relates that a bear,
pursued in the chase by King Dagobert, sought refuge with Ghislain and later showed him the place where
he should establish a monastery. Moreover, the site of the saint's cella was called Ursidongus,
Wir werden Fehler deshalb nicht korrigieren.
Wir verantworten nur die Veröffentlichung.
Suchen bei amazon: Bücher über Catholic Encyclopedia - Gislenus
korrekt zitieren: Artikel
Die Deutsche Nationalbibliothek verzeichnet das Ökumenische Heiligenlexikon in der Deutschen Nationalbibliografie; detaillierte bibliografische Daten sind im Internet über http://d-nb.info/1175439177 und http://d-nb.info/969828497 abrufbar.